Monday, January 18, 2016

500 Words. Day Three. The beginning. Or the end.



Everyone comes into your life for a reason. I know it, you know it, everyone knows it. You may even be familiar with the poem that starts out with “People come into your life for a reason, a season, or a lifetime.”

I wish to share a story here, but i don’t know how to begin. That seems to be a steady theme in my life these days. Anyways.

One day last April, I met him. It was a chance encounter, he was a stranger among a group of individuals gathered around a common interest. I’m an observer, I watch people. I noticed him in the crowd, and there was something about him that caused him to stand out. He could have been one of us, as this group had about 45 people in it, and I didn't know everyone. Yet, there was something different about him that caused me to take notice, something that stood out. Even now I can’t describe it, but I knew.

I was very aware when he sat down across from me with his friend. I was the one in my group who spoke first. I can’t tell you what I said. I may have asked him a question, stated something obvious, or introduced myself. All I know is that I was the one who made the first move. As we talked, I paid attention to him, I was enraptured. There was something about his eyes, and the way he smiled.

He was hiking the Appalachian trail with his friend. He happened to be in the right place, at the right time. Asking a random gentleman why there were so many MINI’s at a resort in the middle of the mountains of North Carolina. Being invited on a drive. Sitting across from me. 

As we parted, I remembered that I felt a subtle sense of missing something. I hoped that we would see each other again. I had encouraged my friends to take them on an adventure, and to meet us back at our cabin later in the evening. There was hope. 

I noticed him as he walked into the room, everything else falling away until it was just him. I’ve never experienced that with anyone else, and it felt normal. We sat across from each other at the table, being fully present with one another. Nothing else mattered, no one else was there. It was just me and my mountain man. 

I had met this man maybe four hours earlier, and here we were having the most in-depth, intense conversation about life, religion, spirituality, love, relationships, commitment, intimacy. As the night wore on, and we changed venues, the intensity of our connection never wavered. He shared pictures and stories of his time on the trail with me. I wanted him to share everything with me. I couldn’t get enough. We sat right next to each other through out the evening, talking and laughing. He was new, exciting, intriguing. 

He was the catalyst for the undoing of my relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment